(The Abundant Life Series – Batch 1)
Escape the ordinary…through HUMILITY and FAITH in the one that can do for you, over and above what you could ever hope, dream or imagine. (Ephesians 3:20)
In the Bible, Jabez knew that without God he was nothing and would never amount to anything of significance. In humility, he acknowledged that he could not escape the ordinary in his own strength. He knew that God had birthed in him the desire for more but he could not reach it without a miracle, a touch, a supernatural intervention from God.
So with complete dependence on God and strong faith that he was a God that could reverse things to change one’s destiny, he prayed this heartfelt and passionate prayer to the one that resides in heaven and of which he was convinced that NOTHING was too hard or impossible:
- “Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed and enlarge my coast and that thine hand might be with me and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!”
Such utter dependence is beautiful to God. The little prayer of Jabez reached the ears of the MIGHTY God and the Bible states that “…God granted him that which he requested.” (1 Chronicles 4:10)
In God’s eyes, there is nothing more beautiful than a humble and contrite spirit. That, he shall never despise. (Psalm 34:18)
He is a God that specializes in extracting BEAUTY from brokenness (Psalm 34:18; Isaiah 61:3), STRENGTH out of weakness (Isaiah 41:10; 2 Corinthians 12:9), GLORY from pain (1 Peter 5:10-11) and EXALTATION out of humility.
On the issue of humility, God has a lot to say. His Word states:
- “When men are cast down, then thou shalt say, there is lifting up; and he shall save the humble person.” (Job 22:29)
- “A man’s pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.” (Proverbs 29:23)
- “For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.” (Luke 14:11)
- “Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus WITH HIMSELF, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.” (Luke 18:10-14)
- “But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.” (James 4:6)
- “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.” (1 Peter 5:6)
I don’t think that many people realize it but the ticket to embracing a life that is EXTRAordinary and full of God’s miracles is HUMILITY, coupled with strong FAITH in God’s power to completely revolutionize your life!
These work well together (humility and faith) because humility makes you look beyond yourself…to he who you have never seen with your eye but know to be all powerful, all-wise and sovereign, God. Humility convinces you that without Christ you are nothing and that outside of Him, you can do nothing (John 15:5), whereas faith reminds you that you can do ALL things THROUGH CHRIST that strengthens you (Philippians 4:13).
Indeed, sometimes, the only thing keeping you back from experiencing more in life is your self-reliance, self-sufficiency and pride or your reliance on people, systems, the things you have, the name you’ve made for yourself, your bank account and the like. My dear friend, you need to strip yourself of reliance on these worthless things that are wholly unprofitable and realign your focus on the one who defines himself as the I AM (Exodus 3:13-14).
Indeed, it is impossible to walk closely with God without a humble spirit that is completely dependent on HIM (not self or others or things society), to make the difference.
Why not ask God to make the difference in your life? I did because I know that I can’t make it in this world without HIM. I believe, like Jabez, that he has answered my request. I therefore wait in faith and anticipation at the manifestation of his miracles in my life and truth be told, he has done so many SUPERnatural things already!
(Written on 14th August, 2016)