(The Abundant Life Series – Batch 2)
The best way to know what God has commanded on any issue is to look in his Word the Bible.
There is no intellectual argument that can be advanced to dismantle the clear and authoritative Word of God, on any issue, including the order he has ordained for conduct in ALL Churches.
Many people may not like what his Word says on the issue but that does not change what it says. We are called to obey God, not question what he says or put up a useless fight against it.
Instead of giving my own ideas on the issue (which is not important), let us take a look at what the Bible says about women teaching in the Church and taking up positions of authority there.
1 Corinthians 14:33-38 KJV
In this scripture, Paul wrote:
- “For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churchES of the saints. Let your women KEEP SILENCE in the churchES: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be UNDER OBEDIENCE as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
- What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that THE THINGS THAT I WRITE UNTO YOU ARE THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE LORD. But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.”
Here, Paul wrote to the Church at Corinth, on the conduct that was to be applicable to ALL (not just the Church at Corinth but all) the Churches. He specifically used the word ‘ChurchES’ which is plural, so it was the rule that was to apply across the board, not just to the church at Corinth and it includes ChurchES today.
A woman not keeping silent in the Church, not submitting herself and her tongue to the God-ordained leadership of man and speaking in the Church so as to teach the congregation is therefore no light matter.
Paul knew that some would not agree to what he was saying, so he was careful to point out that if any such person thought himself to be a prophet or so spiritual that this rule could be avoided, such a person should note that this rule and order for the Churches was not from Paul but was in fact a COMMAND from Jesus.
1 Timothy 2:8-15 KJV
This scripture reads:
- “I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in SILENCE with all SUBJECTION.
- But I SUFFER NOT A WOMAN TO TEACH, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in SILENCE. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.”
This second portion of scripture completely dismantles the argument that women remaining silent was only a rule intended for the Church at Corinth. That is a blatant lie and a pathetic excuse to try to justify rebellion to God’s clear Word. For here, Paul wrote to Timothy on what to instruct the Church at EPHESUS (another Church) concerning sound doctrine.
Before laying down certain precepts (including that which pertained to women and how they were to conduct themselves in the Church), he told Timothy to “…charge some that they teach no other doctrine...” This charge which emanates from the throne of God, remains today.
Think about it: Why did God allow the instruction about women remaining silent in the Church to be placed in yet ANOTHER book (the book of Timothy) and for yet ANOTHER Church (the Church at Ephesus) and not just the Church at Corinth? And why did Paul give as the reason for the rule, not something that was subjective to that particular Church but a universal truth?
For those who are really seeking after TRUTH and not for an excuse to justify the disobedience and rebellion which are running rampant in many Churches today and that have sadly, even become the norm, the answer to this question is not difficult. The COMMAND of Jesus was given to yet another Church, to emphasize and reinforce the fact that women were not to speak in the Church and usurp the authority given by God to men.
No wonder so many Churches are powerless as the darkness of this world envelopes us. God cannot bless rebellion and disobedience and that is exactly what has been happening when Churches have disobeyed God and allowed women to take to the pulpit to deliver sermons and otherwise, to a congregation that includes men.
This is usurpation of God-given authority. It is deception at best and none other than Satan is behind it, no matter how harmless and beneficial it appears to be.
Revelations 2:18-25 KJV
Jesus told John:
- “And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
- Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou SUFFEREST THAT WOMAN Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, TO TEACH and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
- And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. And I will kill her children with death; and all the churchES shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, AS THEY SPEAK; I will put upon you none other burden. But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.”
In this scripture, the glorified Jesus (who had at this time been resurrected and gone back to heaven), spoke AS THE ULTIMATE AUTHORITY on how he felt about the issue, in a letter to the Church at Thyatira. Notice that this was the third Church in which this issue of women speaking and teaching in the Church was raised. Hence the reason why Paul initially used the word ‘Churches’ and not ‘Church’ in Corinthians. It was a command to all of them.
In light of Revelations 2:18-25, this is the THIRD time that this very important issue was being addressed and consistently so. Furthermore, this time, it came, not from Paul but from the mouth of the MASTER himself!
It is important to observe how Jesus, the all-knowing one, who never makes a mistake or does things coincidentally, deliberately patterned his words EXACTLY like how Paul did in Timothy.
If you check back, you will see that both he in Revelations and Paul in the book of Timothy, used the phrase: “SUFFER/SUFFEREST….WOMAN…TO TEACH.”
I believe he did this to drive the point home that the practice of women speaking and teaching in the Churches was one that HE did not approve of. He did not approve of it before, where he had Paul write to the Church at Corinth and also to Timothy to speak to the Church at Ephesus and he had not changed his mind. He was still vehemently opposed to the practice, which represented a deviation from the doctrine that the Churches were initially given and he equated this to a diabolical work of the devil.
Clearly, false doctrine and the issues of fornication, adultery and idolatry were not the only problem at the Church at Thyatira. This is why the Lord Jesus did not say, I have something against you or one thing against you. Instead, he said “I have a few things against thee”.
There was an additional, deeper problem which his eyes like a flame of fire, discerned and although to the Church at Thyatira it may have seemed like no big deal, he referred to the speaking of women there as “the depths of Satan”.
Such speaking and teaching was subtle and on the surface, did not appear to be a problem but the Lord could see that the devil was up to his old tricks again. Eve was deceived, while Adam, the one with the legitimate God-given authority (just like king Ahab did in the Old Testament when he allowed his wife Jezebel to rule), sat idly by and allowed it.
It was and still is a feminism move (which does not submit to God’s agenda but rebels against it), in the Churches, no different from that which exists in the world today.
There is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9).
Notably, in his rebuke of the Church at THYATIRA, the glorified Lord Jesus stated, “Thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.”
This was a woman who called herself a prophetess. The Lord did not call her that. She gave herself the title and claimed falsely to have a gift that God did not give to her. In stating that she called herself a prophetess, the Lord was making it clear that the position she held and the gift she claimed to have were not ordained by God or from God but instead were the product of her own deluded or deceptive self-will, stubbornness and rebellion, against his clear Word. Given that he did not make her a prophetess, her so-called claim was false, rooted in lies and therefore, rooted in satan.
To those who desire to obey the Lord and what he has CLEARLY commanded and are doing so, let not the lies and deception of the devil, that has made many Churches think it is okay to have women Pastors and Deacons and Bishops and for them to occupy leadership positions and speak in and teach the Church (including the men), get to you. Hold fast to THE TRUTH, until he returns.
Jesus himself stated:
- “But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have NOT this doctrine, and which have NOT known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. But that which ye have already HOLD FAST till I come.”
To those who have been deceived by the devil and have seen the error of their ways, repentance is available to you. Confess your sin before God and turn away from it. This is a serious matter. Withdraw your support from any woman who occupies a leadership position in a Church setting and speaks, so as to teach the entire congregation (including men), on biblical matters. You are not to detest her but pray for her in love, that she will repent, as she may think that she is being sincere but really, like Eve, she has been deceived by satan.
The Bible is clear that she is to be silent in the Church and under the subjection and obedience of men’s authority in the Church and not above them. Any act to the contrary is therefore an act of rebellion, even if she does not see it that way.
Finally, for those who have read the CLEAR TRUTH of the Word of God as presented above but are upset because they don’t like what it says, don’t get upset at me. Get upset at THE WORD and see how best that spirit of rebellion within you, can fight against it. Know though, that none who fight against God and his Word have ever won and none will ever win.
When one looks at how powerless many so-called Churches appear to be today, it is not that God’s power has waned. It is that we have shifted the goal posts when we have no jurisdiction to do so. The Church today, for the most part, has no power that can compare with the early Church because the Church today has, for the most part, forsaken God’s fundamentals. He says do one thing, we do another and find every intellectual excuse under the sun, not to obey.
Is it that we think that we are smarter than God?
We speak of things like ‘context’ and convince ourselves that certain New Testament commands of the Lord Jesus, conveyed either directly by him or through his apostles were for a ‘particular’ audience, all because we have gone a-whoring after our own way, so much so, that the wrong becomes cultural, all because we CHOOSE not to obey.
Woe to the future generations who will inherit these flaws and if they don’t read their Bibles properly, will just go along with what has become acceptable, as the ‘norm’.
TRUTH is where the goalpost is. TRUTH is where the goalpost is supposed to be. When we seek to shift the goalpost of God’s Word, we embrace a lie and further the devil’s agenda.
Whenever a woman takes up a leadership position in the Church, which the scriptures clearly condemn and thereby teaches and usurps authority over men in that Church, whether it be for a formal Church service or a Bible Study session, it is always due to pride.
Due to her heart being lifted up with pride, she tells herself that she is equipped with gifts and talents that require her to not be subject to men, as she can teach as well as them or even better than them. She therefore makes the decision to reject God’s Word, deluding herself into believing that she is doing him honour by teaching his Word to the congregation or exercising control and authority over men in the congregation, in some other manner.
This reminds me of what happened with king Uzziah. He was serving God but eventually, became proud and therefore thought that because of who he was and how esteemed he had become in the eyes of the people, that he could disregard God’s clear order for who was to burn incense in the temple of the Lord.
God had clearly given this function to the priests who were from Aaron’s lineage, yet because he had gotten so proud, Uzziah believed that he was as holy as the priests or even better and so, could burn incense in the temple himself and God would be pleased.
He therefore went in, thinking he was doing God honour (because pride deceives) but what he did transgressed against God’s clear command and so it was sin. It had nothing to do with his ability or what he may have convinced himself was his good intentions. God did not consider his action to be honourable and was not pleased with his attempt to burn incense unto Him. For, he had disobeyed God’s clear command as to who was to function in the temple in this capacity and disobedience is sin, no matter how well-meaning a person may think that he or she is.
When the priests spoke to him trying to dissuade his actions, instead of humbling himself before the Lord, realizing that he had sinned as he had no God-given authority to be where he was and doing what he was doing, in pride, he had the audacity to be angry with the priests. He clearly took the view that they were wrong to tell him what they told him, as he was king Uzziah and was so great and so blessed of the Lord.
As a result, instead of obtaining a blessing for his deeds, he inherited a curse. God caused a leprosy to break out on his forehead, right there in the temple, so that he had to rush out in shame, realizing that he had erred and this was his punishment from the Lord. This serious disease eventually killed him.
2 Chronicles 26:15-21 states of Uzziah:
- “And his name spread far abroad; for he was marvellously helped, till he was strong. But when he was strong, HIS HEART WAS LIFTED UP to his destruction: for HE TRANSGRESSED AGAINST THE LORD HIS GOD, and went into the temple of the Lord to burn incense upon the altar of incense.
- And Azariah the priest went in after him, and with him fourscore priests of the Lord, that were valiant men: And they withstood Uzziah the king, and said unto him, It appertaineth not unto thee, Uzziah, to burn incense unto the Lord, but to the priests the sons of Aaron, that are consecrated to burn incense: go out of the sanctuary; for THOU HAST TRESPASSED; NEITHER SHALL IT BE FOR THINE HONOUR from the Lord God.
- Then Uzziah was wroth, and had a censer in his hand to burn incense: and while he was wroth with the priests, the leprosy even rose up in his forehead before the priests in the house of the Lord, from beside the incense altar.And Azariah the chief priest, and all the priests, looked upon him, and, behold, he was leprous in his forehead, and they thrust him out from thence; yea, himself hasted also to go out, because the Lord had smitten him. And Uzziah the king was a leper unto the day of his death, and dwelt in a several house, being a leper; for he was cut off from the house of the Lord: and Jotham his son was over the king’s house, judging the people of the land.”
Similarly, today, when women take to the pulpit or exercise leadership, authority or control over the men in the Church in any capacity, they are stepping outside of the clear boundaries set by God, disregarding and rejecting his Word as to who is to function in such capacity and are therefore TRANSGRESSING against God, a sin that is NOT to their honour but dishonour. No blessings from the Lord can flow from such blatant disobedience, only curses.
God’s Word does not change. If he put rules in place for who is eligible to serve in leadership functions in the Church, it is our duty to obey it, not do our own thing because our hearts have been lifted up in pride and think that God must submit himself to our pride.
Make no mistake, no matter how gifted or talented a woman may think she is, if she is a Christian, God expects her to operate within the boundaries he has set for her. When she rejects his Word and steps outside of that and claims to be edifying the Church with her teachings which involve men, she is transgressing against God. She is in disobedience and rebellion. She is committing sin and this is not something to admire, support or turn a blind eye to but to rebuke, condemn, separate from and decry. For, irrespective of who she is and how popular she is or well-liked, articulate and knowledgeable, she is in disobedience and is leading people astray.
Usually, when a person knows what God’s Word says and decides to disobey God and to reject it nonetheless, unless they humble themselves and repent, that decision usually opens up the door to a strong delusion, where they end up being deceived on other matters and continuing the downward spiral of rejecting other aspects of God’s Word. For, they have made the decision, in their pride, to disobey God’s truth and so they reap a whirlwind of lies (some of which they believe to be true), resulting in defective teaching to their naïve followers, who, refusing to read the Bible for themselves or knowing the truth and also choosing to disobey it are led astray.
No wonder Jesus said of the woman at the Church of Thyatira that, (like Jezebel in the Old Testament) was in an unauthorized leadership position and leading her followers or those who claimed to have been converted under her unauthorized teachings astray (children) and was therefore operating by Satan’s diabolical enablement:
- “Behold I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall KNOW that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.” (Revelation 2:22-23)
The Distinction Between TEACHING AND USURPING AUTHORITY and THE GIFT OF PROPHESYING
Prior to Jesus embarking on his ministry and while he and John the Baptist were still small children, Ana was a prophetess, her being described as being of great age (Luke 2:36). Years later, when John the Baptist grew up, he fulfilled his mission which was to prepare the way for Jesus and he is the last of the Old Testament kind of Prophets, him being the last of Prophets to tell forth what God had said, before Jesus commenced his ministry. In Matthew 11:13 Jesus stated, “For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.”
After Jesus had died and risen from the dead and gifts were given to believers however, it is clear, that while John was the last of the Old Testament kind of Prophets, the gift of prophecy was a gift given to believers in the Church, both men and women.
Based on my understanding, the scripture clearly, undoubtedly and unambiguously endorses this as a gift, given to both Christian men and women in the Church (post Jesus’ ascension), for edification, exhortation and comfort (1 Corinthians 11:4-5; 1 Corinthians 14:1-4, 22-25).
1 Corinthians 11:4-5 for example, states, post the ascension of Jesus:
- “Every man praying or PROPHESYING, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or PROPHESIETH with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.”
In 1 Corinthians 14:1-4 and 22-25, Paul, in addressing the Church at Corinth post the ascension of Jesus, commended the gift of prophesying in the Church, telling them:
- “Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may PROPHESY. For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. But he that PROPHESIETH speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that PROPHESIETH edifieth the church. I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye PROPHESIED: for greater is he that PROPHESIETH than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by PROPHESYING, or by doctrine?…
- Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but PROPHESYING serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? But if all PROPHESY, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.”
Furthermore, during Paul’s Ministry (which was post the ascension of Jesus) and in the Church era, Acts 21:9 tells us that Philip the evangelist had four (4) daughters which PROPHESIED. Verse 10 tells us that there was also a Prophet by the name of Agabus, who PROPHESIED as to what would happen to Paul when he went to Jerusalem.
Verse 10 and 11 reads of Paul’s experience:
- “And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain PROPHET, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul’s girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.”
There is no indication given as to the age of Agabus and he may very well have been an elderly Prophet that was around even before John the Baptist (who had died relatively young) and older than him. I do not know. However, it is clear, that post-Jesus’ ascension, he was operating as a Prophet, whether this gift came after he believed on Jesus and formed part of the Church or had been gifted with it prior, as a godly man of God.
Undoubtedly therefore, the gift of prophesy was therefore given to the Church and although the Word of God tells us and we can see all around us that there are and will continue to be many false prophets in the world, I see no evidence from the scriptures of the gift of prophesy ever having ceased, the Church still continuing to exist.
Some women though, rebelliously desiring to teach congregations and to occupy positions of leadership and power in the Church (which are prohibited), have sought to rely on 1 Corinthians 11:5, as giving them a licence by God to do so. They say that they have the gift of prophesy and then try to use this as an excuse to get up on the pulpit or to exercise authority over men and congregations. However, they have gotten it wrong.
The gift of prophecy is not to be confused with the gift of teaching in the Church. They are two separate gifts and callings. The gift of prophecy is not to be construed as a position that confers authority and leadership, over a congregation, even as the gift of helps or the gift of faith do not.
The above Article was written on the issues of women teaching and usurping authority in the Church (including occupying leadership positions like Pastors, Bishops, Reverends and Deacons), which are expressly prohibited by scripture. It does not extend to prophesying which is not the same as teaching and can be exercised as a gift humbly, wherever it genuinely exists, without exerting influence or authority over a Church.
In fact, there are rules in scripture as to how this gift of prophesying (wherever it may genuinely exist) is to be exercised. A person cannot therefore, just up and say that he or she has a gift of prophesy and do as he or she pleases. God is a God of peace and not the author of confusion.
Based on the authority of God’s Word and how I have understood it, for a woman to be able to prophesy in the Church and in a manner that is approved by the Bible, the following conditions must first exist:
It must be a gift that a Christian woman has genuinely been gifted with by the Holy Spirit. In Revelations 2:20, the glorified Jesus spoke out against the Church at Thyatira, which had allowed a woman (who was calling herself a prophetess without genuinely being gifted in this manner by God), to teach and spread other falsities in the Church.
Given that there are many false prophets in operation today, a Church needs to exercise careful discernment and pray for guidance, whenever a person (including a woman), claims to have a gift of prophecy, especially where that person is eager to be called by the title of Prophet or Prophetess. It is my view, that the gift of prophecy, like other spiritual gifts, wherever it genuinely exists, can be exercised humbly without the need to be known by a title.
Where a woman is genuinely gifted with the gift of prophecy (like the four (4) daughters of Philip the evangelist in Acts 21:9 genuinely had), she can only exercise this gift in the Church where she has obtained the approval of the male Church leadership to do so. For, God’s rule on women submitting to men still applies and God is not the author of confusion. Where a woman prophesies or claims to be prophesying in the Church as she sees fit without approval from the male leadership therefore, it is my view that she would be usurping authority in the Church, which is prohibited.
Also, as stressed before, the gift of prophecy does not authorize a woman to teach in the Church or to take up a position of authority in it. These are still unauthorized by God. Such a woman has no right therefore to be on the pulpit or to give orders to the congregation. Any gift she is given when being used in the Church, must be humbly done subject to the leaders’ approval and this does not extend to her teaching the congregation, taking the pulpit, Pastoring, serving as a Bishop, Reverend or Deacon.
She may serve as a servant of the Lord, which in any event is the role of every Christian and she may be assigned specific roles of servanthood but she is not to take up a title and position of authority in the Church. The title of Deacon today is clearly one that comes with authority, not just over women but men.
Additionally, the Word of God does not contradict itself and 1 Timothy 3:8-13 makes it clear in great detail, that the formal role and title of Deacon which comes with authority over the Church is one in which only males are eligible.
The scripture which silences every opposing argument on this issue, states clearly, unambiguously and in great detail of the criteria for eligibility of the position of Deacon, as follows:
- “Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. Let the deacons be the HUSBANDS of one wife, RULING their children and their own houses well. For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.”
It was therefore envisaged, among other requirements, that the role and title of Deacon would be filled by a MAN who was married to one woman and that had a family of his own, which he was RULING, meaning exercising God-given leadership and authority over. It is not a woman’s role to RULE the home. The scripture clearly therefore meant the role of Deacon to be occupied by men.
This truth is not ambiguous. The requirements for a Deacon have been set out in detail in this portion of scripture. It can be relied upon, as God’s Word does not contradict itself. Yet, people who do not wish to obey this clear command, fish desperately and futilely for other scriptures, to justify their disobedience. They have received an answer from this detailed scripture but they don’t like it, so they grasp at other futile straws.
Where a woman is to prophesy or pray, given her role of submission to men, she must first ensure that her head is covered. To disregard this requirement, would be to disobey God and therefore to pray and prophesy without God’s approval.
1 Corinthians 11:5 clearly states:
- “But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God. Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?”
Where a woman who genuinely has the gift of prophecy, feels led to prophesy and she has received permission from the men to do so, she must only do so where there is at least one or two other persons in the Church, also gifted with the gift of prophecy and agreeing to prophesy along with her, so as to confirm or disprove what is being said. Unilateral prophesying is NOT permitted in the Church. 1 Corinthians 14:29-33 clearly states:
- “Let the prophets speak TWO OR THREE, and let the other judge. If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.”
It is clear therefore that this issue of prophesying has been completely and perhaps deliberately misconstrued and exploited by women ambitious of leadership, influence and power, in many circles. Women have incorrectly equated this gift with teaching and regard it as a licence for women to have authority to lead.
Many women who consider themselves as having the gift of prophecy and wishing to share what they believe the Lord has impressed upon their heart, do not first seek approval from the male leadership before prophesying. In fact, many of these women have rebelliously and non-submissively, taken up positions of leadership themselves, so as to teach and exercise dominance over a congregation, without God’s approval.
In many cases (although I do not believe it is all), many women who claim to have a gift of prophecy are imposters, not really hearing from God and advancing the gospel of Jesus Christ which is at the heart of prophesy but telling people what they think they want to hear or according to the deception the enemy has planted in their minds, according to their own lusts and materialistic outlook.
Revelations 19:10 makes it clear that, “…THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS is the spirit of prophecy.” If those who claim to have the gift of prophesying therefore, do not use it to promote the testimony of Jesus, which is that he died and rose again and is Lord over all but are more interested in clinging to a title and gathering people for ‘financial breakthroughs’ and ‘promotions’ and the like, then what they have and the spirit under which they are operating is not from God but false.
Finally, women all over the world are giving utterances today in many so-called Christian circles, which they claim are prophesies, without covering their heads as the Bible clearly commands them to do.
They also disobey God and do their own thing by making utterances (which they claim are prophesies) on their own, without ensuring first that there is at least one other person or two other persons with the gift of prophecy, who can prophesy along with them, by two or three and thereby judge the authenticity or inaccuracy of what they are saying, as the Bible commands.
(Written in 2017 or 2018, added to thereafter)
About a week ago, I was notified, that someone who owned a Blog touted to be a Christian Blog, had followed my Website. I was appalled though, to see that one of the Articles being recommended on her Website for viewers to read, sought to present reasons (all of which were flimsy because they were without proper biblical support and took the few verses mentioned completely out of context), as to why women could be leaders in the Church.
This person’s Blog was therefore being promoted as a Christian Blog but she was seeking to undermine the truth of God’s Word!
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 is so accurate when it states:
“For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.”
Disturbed by the title of her Article, I proceeded to visit her Website(Blog), read the Article (which was completely without merit and not surprisingly, took the few verses mentioned completely out of context so as to justify the disobedience) and then, feeling compelled because people were congratulating her on the Article which WAS GRAVELY IN ERROR, I wrote the following in the comments section:
- Thank you for following my blog. Your interpretation of the Word of God and the conclusion that you have arrived at on the issue of women occupying leadership positions in the Church is wrong.
- The TRUTH is that the Bible CLEARLY FORBIDS this on not just one but THREE occasions. We may not like it but God’s ways are not our ways. It has nothing to do with equality. We are equal in the body of Christ as men and women but God still clearly has a creation order in terms of how he wants us to function. Similarly, Jesus the Son is equal to God the Father but he had a different function and so came to earth to die for our sins and today is an advocate for those who have relationship with God through him.
- If we say that Jesus is Lord, this means to abandon our own thoughts, ideas, feelings and desires and to submit to the authority of his Word. Jesus himself said in Luke 6:46, “And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?”
- The issue is not one of culture or tradition as you suggested. It is one of OBEDIENCE. Will we obey or seek to undermine what God has clearly and unambiguously commanded in his Word? Will we submit to Jesus’ Lordship by aligning ourselves with his Word, whatever it says or will we choose to fight against it?
- If we genuinely seek his truth and to obey it, he will guide us and keep us from error.
- I invite you to read Note 230 under the ‘SINGLE DAUGHTERS’ section of my ‘REGAL DAUGHTERS OF GOD – HEPHZIBAH DIARIES’ Website entitled: WOMEN TEACHING IN THE CHURCH- WHAT DOES GOD COMMAND.
- I have prayed that the Lord will guide you into the path of TRUTH on this very important issue.
- Please find the link to the article here: https://regaldaughtersofgod.com/single-daughters/230-women-teaching-in-the-church-what-does-god-command/“
When posting the comment to the Page, I clicked on the notification button, so that if anybody responded to my comment or put any further comments on the incorrect Article, I would know.
This morning, I was notified of a new comment from a lady, calling herself a ‘Reverend’. She commended the author of the incorrect Article, supported her stance and basically stated that God reserves the right to call whoever he wants and that if he calls a woman to teach, that nobody can stop it, that she is to obey God and that nobody should object.
This is the problem. Women who occupy leadership positions and teach in the congregation, say that God called them to do so and that they obeyed but dear lady, God will NEVER call you to do anything that goes against, undermines or disobeys his Word. The God we serve is not crazy. He has given us his Word the Bible to be obeyed and he knows what he has instructed us to do in it. He will not on the one hand, tell us THREE times not to do something, that it is forbidden, that it is a shame for a woman to speak in these forums and then turn around and tell a woman, that he wants her to do the very thing he has forbidden.
It is a fact that there are many voices out there in the world (1 Corinthians 14:10). Yet, not every ‘voice’ you hear is God’s!
God is a consistent God. He never changes. What he has purposed, cannot be disanulled (Isaiah 14:27). He has purposed that we should have his Word the Bible and that we should obey it. When women claim to be called by God to occupy these positions of leadership therefore and to teach in the Church, no doubt they may have really heard a voice but it is not the Lord’s!
If they truly considered God’s Word to be THE authority on all matters and believed that God would not go against his Word in ANY situation, then they would know that the voice that they heard or what they felt strongly to do because they felt gifted in a particular area or what people told them was their calling was NOT from the Lord but from the devil, the world or the lusts (desires) of their own flesh.
To disobey God’s clear command as given in his Word is evil. To go further and attempt to justify the disobedience by saying that God called you to do it, when it was your own flesh that did is even worse.
James 1:13-16 states:
- “Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of HIS OWN LUST, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren.“
In James 1:8, God lets us know that a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways. Being double-minded is therefore something that God hates. When it comes to God himself, he is not unstable and is in no way double-minded. He wouldn’t therefore tell us in his Word that we are not to do one thing on the one hand and then on the other hand, tell someone to go ahead and do it. In short, God will never ‘call’ you to disobey his Word. The only one who specializes in calling people to disobey God’s Word has always been and continues to be, the devil.
Whatever a woman feels that she ‘heard’ therefore, when examined in light of God’s authoritative and NEVER CHANGING Word, it exposes the source of the call. She has been deceived like Eve again if she gives in because it is a call from the devil.
Verse 17 says of God’s unchanging and sure character, that with him there “….is NO variableness, neither shadow of turning.”
Psalm 138:2 tells us further, how much God values his Word and how highly he has esteemed it. He has exalted it above even his name. The verse states of God, “…thou hast magnified THY WORD ABOVE all thy name.”
2 Timothy 3:16-17 states that:
- “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
ALL of God’s Word has therefore been given to us, so that we can be instructed in righteousness and ALL of his Word is profitable for doctrine, including the parts that clearly state that a woman is to be silent in the Church.
Surely, God would not tell us that he gave us his Word (all scripture) to instruct us on what is right (meaning what pleases him) and then on the other hand, tell some women, that he is calling them to act contrary to that very Word and therefore, to disobey it. Seriously, does that make sense?
In Mark 3:24-25, Jesus said: “…if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.”
God has given us his Word, not to merely read and think the verses to be cute but to OBEY it. Hence the reason that James 1:22 commands us, “But be ye doers of THE WORD and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
This verse underscores the fact that if the Word commands something, you hear it and you choose not to do it because you claim that you then ‘heard’ otherwise from God, then you are deceiving your own self.
Any command that God gives his children today will be consistent with the commands already given in his Word. God does not have a split personality. He knows what he put in his Word for us to obey, he deliberately put it there and he expects us to obey it. He expects us to measure everything we think we ‘heard’ against the yardstick of THE WORD.
If Eve had done that when in the garden of Eden, she would have never found herself in the trouble she did. She and Adam plunged the whole world into chaos because she ‘heard’ something that went against what God had ALREADY commanded, believed it and went with it, to her detriment and all of the human race.
Yet God’s Word REMAINED.
In Matthew 24:35, Jesus stated, “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall NOT pass away.”
We cannot do away with or abolish the portions of God’s Word that we do not like because we desire to act in a manner that is contrary. We cannot bury our heads in the sand, skip over or close our eyes to the verses that clearly tell us, that as women, we must NOT teach and speak in the Church and that we must NOT usurp the authority of men and then think, that this makes our disobedience okay and that God is fine with it and delude ourselves into believing (even as Eve did), that maybe God got it wrong, that maybe he was confused when he gave the Word or that he is now calling us to disobey that very Word.
Of the permanence of God’s Word and his righteousness, which will outlive all of us, the WORD OF GOD states in Isaiah 51:5-6:
- “…for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke and the earth shall wax old like a garment and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be FOREVER, and MY RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL NOT BE ABOLISHED.”
The woman who called herself a ‘Reverend’ and was therefore clearly living in disobedience to God’s clear command, also mentioned irrelevant arguments to try to support her position, like women are no longer in bondage because who the Son sets free is free indeed and that nobody could question God.
The thing is, those that Jesus has saved, he has indeed set them free but not to do their own thing. He set them free from sin and the penalty of sin, sin being DISOBEDIENCE against God. He therefore set them free to now continue on OBEYING God.
Jesus would not set us free from disobedience, only to go on disobeying him again. That would make no sense whatsoever.
Make no mistake, Jesus is the Word. The Word having been delivered to us therefore, God expects us to OBEY it. The Bible tells us in John 1:1-3, 10-14:
- “In the beginning was THE WORD, and THE WORD was with God, and THE WORD WAS GOD. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made….HE was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And THE WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.”
The Word is therefore alive and is Jesus, in written form. To reject any part of it and disobey any of its commands is to reject Jesus Christ.
It is because this Word is alive and is Jesus in written form, that it is sharper than any two-edged sword and has the ability to pierce and discern. To the disobedient, it pierces in a way that makes them uncomfortable and accurately discerns the real motives for their rebellious actions.
Hebrews 4:12 says of it:
- “For THE WORD OF GOD is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
Despite all the mindless and pathetic excuses people try to bring to the table to justify their disobedience, THE WORD and the commands contained in it for the Church, STILL STAND. The issue therefore remains, that we are to decide (even as Eve had to decide) whether we will humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God and OBEY it or continue on rebelliously and do whatever seems right in our own eyes.
(Written on 18th October, 2021)
DEAR READER, if you are interested in TRUTH over men’s tradition, OBEYING GOD over the disobedient practice of many in the Churches today and you wish to obtain more information on this very important subject, be sure to read:
- Note 228 – ‘God’s Laws Are Supreme’
- Note 247 – ‘How Does God Speak To His Children?’
- Note 249 – ‘Twelve Indicators Of A Healthy Church’
- Note 284 – ‘My Humble View On The Letters Of The Glorified Jesus To The Seven Churches’ – Thyatira (Part 2)’
Additionally, under the ‘BIBLE-BELIEVING Daughters Of God’ Page:
- Note 162 – ‘The Spirit Of Prophecy’
- Note 199 – ‘Dear Christian, Disobedience Does Not Pay’